Sunday, December 9, 2012

Food in Denmark

Oooppps...how did yesterday ever slip by without a post?? Well, it is December ...that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!! 

As I am typing this post, I am watching the snow fall once again. It is beautiful and I don't think I can ever tire of it. Having lived in North Carolina for 30+ years of my life, there haven't been many snows to speak of, especially after having grown up in Ohio. I feel like I am playing "catch-up" now. The weather reports that we are to get 17cm today and tonight with some blustery winds. It is a storm front that is coming in from the west. 

There are places in my yard that never melted from last week and were 7-9 inches deep already...with today's snow added to it, I can only imagine the drifts!! Feels like Christmas and that makes me happy!!

Some of you have wondered what kinds of things we eat in Denmark. While we have most of the same types of things here that we did in the US, there are different things we have at each meal. This is yesterday's breakfast:

* Unsweetened oatmeal (ordered from the UK and the kids use a bit of brown sugar and milk  when served)
* Scrambled eggs (organic)
* Biksemad (cubed potatoes, onion, with ham and steak pieces)
* Solsikke Rugbrød (sunflower seed, rye bread)
* Fruit 
* OJ, hot chocolate and coffee
   













This was more like a brunch since everyone slept in so our dinner became a "dunch"...a late lunch/early dinner. Here is what we had:

                       
Fish!! Not just any regular fish though...can you see the layers? This is tiny shrimps on the inside, wrapped with tuna, wrapped in white fish, and finally the outer layer is salmon. Have I ever mentioned that the Danes love their fish?? Well, I served it with a wasabi/mayo dip and broccoli-carrot pasta with a bit of butter and parmesan cheese, and a salad. Everyone scarfed it down and then we all went to the den and got set to watch one of our very favorite movies-A Christmas Story. This has been one of our family traditions for years and years.

More on today's events, later today....

It snowed all afternoon and the boys did end up going out and playing in it. They had a huge snowball fight and ended up red cheeked and soaking wet by the time it was over.
crafts 023  crafts 026
crafts 027  crafts 029
crafts 030  crafts 034
Maggie and I were smart enough to stay inside where it was nice and warm. I made konfekt, which is the Danish word for little sweets. You’ll typically see konfekt served at Christmas, as party food or at the end of a meal instead of dessert. I started with dried apricots, figs, and dates which I stuffed with a bit of marzipan and then each piece was dipped in melted chocolate. These are traditional to the Danes, however, I added a not-so-traditional fruit to the mix...bananas! Chocolate covered bananas are Randell's favorite, so he will be pleasantly surprised when he sees this!
          

No comments: